The County Clerk’s Office has the Answer!
WHITE PLAINS, NY: Do both parents need to be present to apply for their child’s passport? Does the child need to be present when applying for their passport? Are copies of birth certificates accepted as proof of identity? The Office of the Westchester County Clerk can answer these questions and more as well as help you process the necessary application for a child’s passport. “We encourage parents planning an international trip to let our knowledgeable staff help them apply for a passport for their child, including taking their picture,” began Westchester County Clerk Timothy C. Idoni. “Routine passport applications take only a few minutes to complete and our staff is well equipped to assist with more complex applications,” continued Idoni, whose office, is the largest passport agency for the U.S. Department of State in this region.
If you need a passport for your child, please remember
• The child must be present when applying for their passport.
• An original birth certificate with a raised seal must be submitted, but will be returned in a few weeks.
• Parents or guardians must present proof of identity to establish relationship to a child under the age of 16.
• Both parents should appear together and sign the application or submit a notarized form (DS-3053) signed by the parent that cannot appear in person.
• Applicants age 16 and older must sign their name on the application in front of the passport agent.
• Passport applications and forms can be downloaded from the clerk website www.WestchesterClerk.com
The fee for a child’s passport is $105.00 and can be paid in cash, check or money order. If paying by check or money order, parents must bring one for $80.00 payable to the Department of State and one for $25.00 payable to the Westchester County Clerk. In our White Plains Office, American Express, MasterCard and Visa are also accepted. The Limited Use Passport Card, for land and sea border travel, only is $40.00 for children under the age of 16. For expedited service fewer than four weeks, the fee is $60.00 per application. Passport photos are $10.00.
If you have any questions about what you need to have to apply for your child’s passport, do not hesitate to call our office at (914) 995-3086 or visit our website at www.WestchesterClerk.com.