Does Your Child Need A U.S. Passport? Contact the County Clerk's Office
WHITE PLAINS, NY: In obtaining a passport for a child, parents often have many questions. Westchester County Clerk Timothy C. Idoni wants parents to be assured that staff in his passport office will answer any questions or concerns they may have. “We’re here to make sure the process for Westchester County parents applying for their child’s passport runs smoothly,” began Idoni, whose office is also the largest passport acceptance agency in this region. On a daily basis, Idoni’s office receives inquiries from parents, most notably since new passport regulations went into effect last month and he emphasizes, “It’s important for parents to know that while new regulations require U.S. citizens to present a passport book or card when entering the United States, children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a birth certificate or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate.” For other forms of international travel, a passport is required.
- A child must be present when applying for their passport.
- An original birth certificate with a raised seal must be submitted, but will be returned in a few weeks.
- Parents or guardians must present proof of identity to establish relationship to a child under the age of 16.
- Both parents should appear together and sign the application or submit a notarized form (DS-3053) signed by the parent that cannot appear in person.
- Applicants age 16 and older must sign their name on the application in front of the passport agent.
- Passport applications and forms can be downloaded from the clerk website www.westchesterclerk.com
The fee for a child’s passport is $105.00 and can be paid in cash, check or money order. If paying by check or money order, parents must bring one for $80.00 payable to the Department of State and one for $25.00 payable to the Westchester County Clerk. Additionally, the U.S. Passport Card launched in 2008 and used for land and sea border travel, only is $35.00. For expedited service, the fee is $60.00 per application. Staff can also take passport photos for $10.00.
If you have any questions and want to apply for a child’s passport, call 995-3086 or come to the office located at 110 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. in White Plains, Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays between 8 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. You must arrive by 4:30 pm to be serviced.