1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Q:  How much can a notary public charge me for administering an oath or affirmation or for taking an acknowledgment?
A: A notary public may charge a fee of $2.00 for administering an oath or affirmation or for taking an acknowledgment or proof of execution.  Unless otherwise authorized by law, a notary fee may not exceed that amount.
Q: As a New York State notary public, can I notarize documents outside of the county in which my commission is filed?
A:  As a notary public commissioned in New York State, you may act as notary public anywhere in New York State.  However, only the clerk of the county in which you are qualified, or in which you have filed an Official Character Card, will have your signature on file. Therefore, if your signature needs to be authenticated, only a County Clerk with your signature on file can authenticate it.
Q:  How can I register my commission to act as a notary public in another county?
A: If you would like to register your notary public commission in another county in New York State, you must purchase an Official Character Card from the County Clerk in the county in which you have qualified. There is a fee of $5.00 for your Official Character Card. Once received, submit this to the County Clerk in the county where you wish to register your commission. There is a fee of $10.00 to register your commission in another county.
Q: What should I do if my name or address changes while I am a notary public?
A: If you have changed your name or address, you may submit a change of personal name or address form along with a $10.00 fee. (The $10.00 fee is not required if the individual name change is the result in change of marital status)  You may also change your name upon renewal of your license/registration.  You must provide proof of your name change, e.g. a copy of one of the following:  court order changing your name; marriage certificate; driver's license, or a non-driver's ID card; valid passport; or immigration documents.  Please note:  A new ID card will not be issued to you following a change of name during the course of your commission, as you must continue to notarize using the name under which you were commissioned throughout the remainder of your term. 

Calendar of Events

Thursday, June 22

Mobile Passport Outreach
Bronxville Village Hall
11am - 2pm

200 Pondfield Road
Bronxville, NY 10708

Friday, June 23

Mobile Passport Outreach
Yorktown Town Hall
11am - 2pm

363 Underhill Avenue
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

FireworksTuesday, July 4

Independence Day
Office will reopen on Wednesday, July 5th at 8am


Full Calendar of Events

Visiting Our Office?

To visit our office, enter through the Richard J. Daronco Courthouse located at 111 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. in White Plains. Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., excluding official holidays.